Questions For This Election

Uh. This election is very frustrating.

I don’t have a lot of answers. Apparently everyone else does because my social media newsfeed is flooded with opinions.

Some have been helpful. Most have been…

Since there are so many opinions I thought I’d take some time to ask some questions.

From what I see all the opinions aren’t changing anyone’s opinion. It is my opinion that Christians need to be wrestling with the state of our country. We cannot change anyone, but we can work on ourselves. The way to do that is by self reflecting on our own beliefs and actions.

People who are only interested in their own opinions don’t ask many questions. They jump to conclusions. They push the same narrative that is given to the masses. They don’t grow.

But that’s not you. You are reading this because you want to be better…or you are procrastinating. I do my best web searching when I am procrastinating.

So let’s dive in and answer some questions together.

• Have you spent more time complaining about or praying for the candidates running? 1 Timothy 2:1-4 says, “I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.
  • Are you equally upset by the actions of both candidates or is your anger fueled because of your political affiliation. Proverbs 29:11 says, “Fools give full vent to their rage, but the wise bring calm in the end.”
  • Are you holding the candidates to a higher standard than you hold yourself? Colossians 3:8 says, “But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips.”
  • Is there anything your candidate could do that would cause you to change your vote? If not, why? Psalm 146:3 says, “Put not your trust in princes, in a son of man, in whom there is no salvation.”
  • Is your fear of one or both of the candidates being elected affecting other areas of your life? Philippians 3:20 says, “But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ,”
  • Are you willing to do anything to back up your concerns? For example if you are truly outraged by a candidates policy what are you doing about it. A Facebook rant doesn’t count. Proverbs 14:34 says, “Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people.”

How did you answer the questions above?

1. October 11, 2016

I keep hearing that we are electing a president, not a pastor, as a reason to vote for a couple of the candidates. I don’t understand how voting for any candidate that runs against your stated values is helpful.
    I also hear that we don’t have any candidate that is sinless. So evidently I” supposed to throw my hands up and vote for someone of low character.
    Why do we have to vote for someone of the two major parties? Everyone seems to think we have to vote for one of them, but what if we quit being suckered by the two majors and started picking people that truly represented us?

• October 12, 2016

Larry, I agree. I was told on Sunday that it’s impossible for a third party person to become elected. I’m not sure why it’s impossible.

2. Nate Nowotny
    October 11, 2016

Great insight as usual Rob!

3. Janet
    October 11, 2016

This article raised some good points. But I, too, am thinking along the lines of LarryTheDeuce. I had always thought that a vote for a third party candidate was a waste since there would be little chance of winning, but now I find myself considering the possibility that God may want us to vote for the right person regardless of outcome. Could it be that voting for the most God-honoring candidate is all the Lord desires? What if we have become so desperate about the dire state of our country that we are looking to government to deliver us when our trust should be in the Lord? These are things I am pondering and praying about…

4. Karen
    October 11, 2016

Great points definitely. I will definitely be more prayerful about it. I can’t believe voting is right around the corner!

5. Laura Spiers
    October 11, 2016

You are so on point. I needed to be reminded to pray more and worry and complain less. This campaign has made that very difficult….

• October 12, 2016

Laura, I think we are all in that boat this time of year.

6. Sabrina
    October 11, 2016

I have so many questions. And I truly want answers. Are we not going to be judged by every thought, word, and deed? I know that Romans tells us that we are to be subject to the governing authorities. We are also blessed to be born into a country that has the privilege of electing our governing authorities. How are we to make educated and wise choices if we don’t know really know who we are voting for. So many of my christian friends don’t want to talk about politics. I can’t blame them. However, I feel that is exactly why we have Trump and Clinton. There are other candidates out there running. Even now.

I have been struggling with do I vote my concise? Or do I vote for Trump or Clinton. I know the bible says that we are to be in the world and not of the world. Is politics the one area that is taboo and off limits? That doesn’t make since to me either. If we were given the privileged to be able to vote for our leaders, should we not vet them and vote the ones who actually uphold our christian values. Not just during election season. We have also been blessed with the internet and have more opportunity than ever before to research the candidates and see where they stand morally. I requires doing more digging and research on our part.

I know that God will work all things out for his good. That is the only thing that helps me sleep at night. But I ask, Why do we have to blessing of voting if we take it seriously and use it wisely?

I apologize if I offend or come off to strong. I really never cared much at all until I had children. So, I blame them 😉

Seriously though, I would love for there to be more dialog about this in the Christian community, Not about candidates, parties, etc. but about ideas, morals, and values in the candidates that we will vote for.

• October 12, 2016

Sabrina, I’m not offended at all. I think you bring up some great points. If there isn’t a forum like what you are describing maybe this is your opportunity to start something. Just an idea.

It can be very frustrating because most articles have an agenda. They bash Clinton to uplift Trump. They bash Trump to uplift Clinton. It’s difficult to find forums where agendas are put to the side and everyone has the safety to think out loud.

7. Linda
    October 12, 2016

Excellent questions, Rob.

8. October 12, 2016

Rob, it’s only because most people have bought in that they have to pick between these two options.

9. sandra walters
    October 12, 2016

This election really scares me because I cannot get behind either candidate, my big issue is the Supreme Court Judges, I really think I can live with either candidate for 4 yrs. but Supreme Court decision my very well last my lifetime, and I am not ready for a liberal Supreme Court.

10. October 12, 2016

To quote Steve Martin, “Wow. All I can say is wow.” Thanks for the encouragement. I’ll be sharing this on my fb page.

11. Mim Shepherd
    October 12, 2016

Franklin Graham has led a “Prayer for America” crusade in every state. Today he is in Virginia, holding a rally on the capital steps. I know other groups that are calling for prayer and fasting. This is a critical moment for the freedom and ideals I value. I like the verse, “Put not your trust in princes…” I am looking at the platform (not the person) and voting for the ideals I most cherish. The Supreme Court direction is paramount. Defense of the country is the main goal for which government is instituted. Without that, the rest is lost. Platform, not the person gets my vote, and I’m earnestly praying and trusting that God will lead the leader.

12. Sunnie Sullivan
    November 5, 2016

My sadness is how divided we have become as a nation. I always thought the church, Christians, really believed that we should live as Christ lived when he was on Earth. Jesus never picked up a stone or a stick when he felt threatened, or when people did not believe. He loved all people, not one country over another, one person over another. He spoke to everyone, didn’t withhold a meal, didn’t judge. He looked for the good….but all we are doing is looking for the bad. We let the media, groups who are trying to make a profit, and let them inform us, as if they are the truth. We need to turn off the tv and the radio, and pray, as you say. If we pray for the hate to leave our heart and look more closely at the lives and history of the two front runners. You see one who has committed her life to advocacy and serving others. No matter how much good she has done, everyone focuses on her mistakes – and raising those mistakes to crimes. 50 years of more advocacy then anyone reading this blog, and people still say, well there must have been some evil motive for spending all that time trying to help kids, families. And then you look at the other, who has never served others, or worked to better the lives of others unless there was a profit to be had. Who left his first wife because he was no longer attracted to her – they had children together,…but then he did it again, and his third marriage again shows his values. His speech is angry, divisive, and hateful….he doesn’t go to church….and my Christian friends say they are struggling to decide….I’m just pained by this. Hasn’t history shown us anything? And as I hear people say we should forgive him for his “mistakes” but not her…I just don’t understand why the decision is so hard for people or that there is even a question. Yes, Pray I will.