Sit Down for What

Have you ever heard of “Clickbait.” It’s so annoying.

Clickbait is when an article on the Internet posts simply to get clicks. The worst are the straight up lies that say a celebrity has died. They create these simply to get people to click on the site. How rude.

There is another type of clickbait, and I try to stay away from it.

When something happens that more than two people have an opinion about every major site will post about it to drive up “clicks” on their site. So, you end up having a bunch of information about the same topics. I write about what I am thinking about, so there are times where I write about pop culture events, but I want to make sure I have something to say. I especially look for ways to point to God and not every major hissy fit in America has a spiritual angle.

With that being said I’ve waited a couple of weeks to post about Colin Kaepernick and his decision to sit down during the National Anthem at his teams pre-season football games.

Have you heard about this?

This topic has been covered to death. What caught my attention was the loud voices speaking out against Colin.

We live in America. If you have an opinion you can share it.

What I think is unfortunate is the loudest voices against Colin aren’t known for doing anything accept for critiquing others for a living.

You don’t have to agree with Colin’s way of protesting. He might have picked the worst way to protest. But how much he makes, what else he does, the color of his parents, and your opinion about him should weigh very little on what he is doing.

It’s his life.

And here is the hard truth, if you make a stand for anything criticism will come and it will be loud.

It’s incredibly important to know why you are going to take a stand, or sit in Kaepernick’s case, because the criticism will be fierce.

Even if you or I can imagine a better way to protest the real question is what are we standing up for?

As the age old saying goes, “If you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything.”

I don’t know about you but I don’t want to be known more for my opinions than my actions. What you do matters. You have a choice if you are going to make a difference in this world. What you choose to impact won’t be popular with everyone else. But it’s your life.

One interesting thing about the Kaepernick sit down is his jersey sales have skyrocketed since he made this decision. He is getting boo’ed at stadiums and has received a lot of negative press, but there are a lot of people who have resonated with his stance.

Opinions are like butts, everyone has one and most of them stink.

I personally am inspired by Kaepernick’s stance. I wouldn’t choose to do what he is doing, but it takes a lot of guts to make a public stance in the way he is.

I’m thinking about what I would protest. I’m thinking about what I’d stand up for. I’m wondering what you would stand up for?

Jesus said, to His disciples, “You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.” – Matthew 10:22

I don’t think we should look to pick a fight. Its my understanding of the Scriptures we should work hard to have peaceful relationships with everyone. The fact of the matter is if you take a stand someone will hate you. And if no one every pushes back against you it might be because you aren’t standing for anything.

I don’t feel I need to adopt anyone else’s stance. I don’t feel I need to be passionate about what everyone else is passionate about. I do feel I need to stand for some things. You do to. The questions is what would you stand up for?

How do you feel about Kaepernick’s stance? What would you be willing to stand up for?

1. September 6, 2016

I appreciate him and would never criticize someone for taking a stand for something even if I don’t agree with it. I would want the same afforded to me. Timing seems to be interesting to me. I sincerely hope this is not a stunt to take the focus off of his poor play and the possibility of the team cutting him before they have to pay him. I have no evidence that he did it to make them look bad if they decided to cut him and forcing their hands into keeping him. If that is the case, he’s a genius.

• September 6, 2016

Phil, I didn’t even know that was a consideration. If that is the case he really is a genius.

2. Big Bobby P
    September 6, 2016

i respectful disagree, i believe in taking a stance for something, shoot i applaud him for wanting to make a differnce. But this isnt just about standing or sitting for athem. This is about respecting the men and woman who gave their life for that flag. There is a lot of things you can do to protest, he makes roughly 19mil a year to sit on a bench, he could put his money where his mouth is, or he could speak out, maybe even hold out on the 49ers as a public stand, that would make a even bigger up roar. It is becomeing a bigger thing lately with all these people burning the flag, walking on the flag and carrying it upside down. I see it everyday on videos, coming from a number of groups majority of the liberal background, and it is just sick. I know way to much people who have grown up without a father, one way or another defending our freedom, some lost them defending our country, others had to serve so many tours that they didnt even know their father growing up( my wife is one of them), so we can live the life we have now. If he didnt stand for the national anthem any other time it would of been a uproar but the constant attack on our flag and our military is why, this was the wrong time and the wrong place. Plus anyone with knowledge of the nfl knows this wasnt a real poltical stand, it was a civil rights stand. Colin was about to get cut, the avg backup qb makes avout 3 to 5 mil a year. He has falled off in his carrer, since harbaugh left the team, clearly his promise was a lot to do with his coach. But by what he did, if the 49ers cut him it would of been in a massive spotlight, national coverage, and people would support him for being cut and boycott the team for him being cut, making him a morder. Plus then give him grounds for a civil suit to sue the NFL and the 49ers for rasism and the news media would give him the outlet to do it. This is a fact, which forced 49ers to keep him on a few more weeks but once the kid can prove he can play then they will have grounds to prove they can cut him, but watch the fireworks flare once more. No matter what 49ERS does now, they will get crucified.

• September 6, 2016

Bobby, that’s fascinating. I didn’t know any of this had even a potential tie to his contract. If that is the case that’s a brilliant move on his part and an awful shame. I hope this has nothing to do with his contract.

3. Karen
    September 6, 2016

I don’t know enough about the issues behind the story you are speaking of. I stand up for my beliefs in Christ and have lost potential friends because of it. I’m not in “your face” about it in speech and conversation unless God puts it on my heart and provides the opportunity.

• September 6, 2016

Karen, I’m sorry you have lost potential friends because of your faith. That stinks.

4. Connie
    September 6, 2016

I truly support our flag and country. I adore our military and very greatful for them. I have lost family in wars, my brother retired from the air force and was in Vietnam twice. My Son in Law will retire in Feb. His ship was first in battle 9/11. I stand for the National Anthem. Now with that said, doesn’t all this happen so he has a right not to stand. I have heard someone in the military once say that they go to work everyday to defend our right to be stupid as well. Not trying to start anything. Just my thought. And yes, I love God. He also gave us free will.

5. Robin Friend
    September 6, 2016

Bobby, I agree with you wholeheartedly and appreciate you educating me further!

6. Jill Williams
    September 6, 2016

I agree with Connie. As the wife of a retired US Marine, I have no issue whatsoever with his protest and how, when or where he did it I don’t see it at all as disrespecting my husband who served our country and fought for his right to do this. That is the great thing about America. This is supposed to be a free country where we have freedom of religion, freedom of speech, etc….if he chooses not to stand during the National Anthem, that is his right. And good on him for standing up (or sitting) for something that he believes in.

7. Randal
    September 6, 2016

I will freely admit to being irritated with Kaepernick when he sat through the national anthem. While I recognized that he was doing so in protest of issues he sees in the country, I felt it was a poor choice in execution. His current action of taking a knee during the anthem I find as effective in calling attention, but more respectful than remaining seated. That all being said, whether I find his actions irritating, aggravating, or infuriating, he is well within his rights to peacefully protest any way he sees fit. I don’t have to agree with him, but if I want my rights respected I need to respect those of others.

8. Tamra
    September 6, 2016

My opinion is to not have an opinion. This is in no disrespect to our country or our flag. My husband is also retired from the USAF. But it’s not about me and how I feel. This is another example of Satan saying “look at this!” in order to keep our eyes off Christ. What good does it do for me to have an opinion? Will it strengthen my faith? Will it point others to Christ? If I disagree does it change anyone else’s opinion of the said subject? No. I’m done wasting time on fighting battles that do not produce fruit. My focus needs to be on sharing Him by my actions and words. Which starts with guarding my mouth and words that in anyway would start a foolish argument either way. We are in the biggest battle and we don’t even know it. It starts with me and my decision of my behavior “each” day. How will I react? Will I voice my opinion or will I allow the Spirit to guide me to point someone to Christ by my words or actions. I’m more concerned about that more than anything. But that’s just my opinion 🙂

9. September 6, 2016

I find it amazing that the year I was born, in the Mexico City Okympics, Black men stood on the podium and held their fists up while standing to bring attention to racial issues. 48 years later, a Black man chooses not to stand. I think CK has the right to do this. Otherwise we would be living in North Korea. He says that America isn’t great, yet the greatness of Anerica allows him to do this. I think he is shortsighted. He has the freedom of speech to do it, but not freedom from repercussions. If Il was the Santa Clara police, I would do nothing to help CK or the 49’ers.

• September 7, 2016

Larry, I hear you. One of the amazing things about America is how men and women have fought for the freedom for everyone…even knuckleheads.