Can You Have A Holy Moment On A Water Slide?

A few weeks ago we were given passes to the water park at the Great Wolf Lodge…

Typically you don’t have access to the water park unless you stay at the hotel, but these passes allowed us to go for free.

It was glorious.

My kids loved it. Really loved it. My son cried hard when we had to leave.

It was interesting to me that they liked it because they wouldn’t go on any of the slides. They liked to just splash in the kiddie pool or have us hold them in the wave pool. I on the other hand wasn’t content to just hang out in the kiddie pool. I had my eyes set on…

That is the Tornado.

It’s a tube ride that requires 2 to 4 people. My kids were too young to hang out by themselves so my wife and I couldn’t go. I really wanted to ride this ride but the odds weren’t in my favor.

While splashing in the kiddie pool I asked God to connect me with someone else so I could go on this ride. That’s a crazy prayer right?

I mean at the end of the day this doesn’t really matter. It doesn’t seem like a God type prayer.

Or does it?

God wants to be a part of our lives. He’s the perfect heavenly Father who loves giving good gifts to His kids. We don’t have because we don’t ask, so I asked.

But God didn’t deliver.

I waited and waited and no one came up to me to ask me if I’d like to experience the awesomeness that is the Tornado. No one.

So Monica told me to just walk up to the ride and see what happens. I scoffed at her. That wouldn’t work.

Or would it?

I finally just went by faith. I walked up this gigantor flight of stairs. I walked into the top of the ride and convinced myself that I was going to have to walk all the way back down the stairs doing the walk of shame.

Right when I got to the top two guys appeared out of no where and said, “Dude, you are with us. You need someone to ride with?” I was a little shocked. I stumbled for a second and then said, “YES!”

I was excited.

Really excited.

The ride ended up being amazing. The guys were military guys who were mad cool. In fact when it was over they declared, “That was awesome, let’s do it again!” So we did.

It was amazing!

I had forgotten about that moment until yesterday. We were given two passes so we used one and gave the other pass to some friends. He texted me today and thanked me for thinking of him. They loved the Great Wolf Lodge.

I asked him if he rode the Tornado and he said, “No. You have to have 2 people and we had to stay with my daughter.”

At that moment I realized what a holy moment it was at the top of that Tornado.

I asked. God said yes. I had a blast.

I don’t know why I’m a little shocked that God would answer a prayer like that.

I also don’t know why didn’t make a bigger deal about what God did. When someone gives me a great gift I tend to go overboard with “Thanks!” I love gifts! Love em! And yet God gives me this gift and I brush it off like it’s an ordinary thing.

Sorry God.

The truth is that God does amazing things. We miss out either because we don’t ask or because we take it for granted.

God, help me to have great faith. Help me to see the holy moments for what they are. Help me to experience you in the every day moments.

Have you ever experienced God in the every day moments?

1. December 9, 2013

This post is so you. Great stuff. Have a super day.

• December 9, 2013

Thanks Daniel! Hope your day was full of awesome!

2. December 9, 2013

Rob, I think we have been taught to not see stuff like that as holy. Then we miss all of these God moments where God just wants to say, “I don’t give you snakes and rocks.”

3. jebatthebeach
    December 9, 2013

God winks at me often. I don’t always see it until later.

• December 9, 2013

Joan, no doubt. I’m really slow at seeing it.

4. Kelly Miller
    December 9, 2013

Lately I’ve been thinking about how I don’t really ask God for little things for me or anyone else. I notice when they come, Like, he always gives me a good parking spot and changes traffic lights for me. I just don’t think on what I know. I can ask for things. Something I need to work on. We had a water slide delivered to my yard over a year ago. I’m pretty sure the whole of Yorktown showed up. Best party ever!!!

• December 9, 2013

Kelly, that’s amazing. How big was this water slide?

• kelly miller
        December 9, 2013

Two lanes with a pool at the bottom and tons of squirt guns to bomb everyone as they plunge! Oh yeah, thank you God!

December 9, 2013

Love it! There is a direct, divine correlation in not only asking but acting on faith. You went to the top of the ride, even though you had not made contact with anyone–but God. The sea opened when Moses raised the rod. The Jordan river dried up–when the priests put their feet in the water. Time after time, it is not only asking, but taking some tiny faith-based action that brings a God-moment. Recently, one of our prayer-team members verbalized part of a song (“Nothing but the Blood”) in prayer. When we entered worship afterwards, the song was sung–we each made eye contact, and knew it was a God moment.

• December 9, 2013

Mim, no doubt. I think faith has a lot of action to it.

• Amy
      December 9, 2013

I had one at the K-Love Christmad Concert on Thursday night. We are on a fairly tight budget so I took $20 for Emily, Garrett and I to get some dinner in the way. Not sure what the total was but I had change, Cool Beans! During intermission the kids wanted to sponser a hungry family for $19. I had to explain the money situation and that I had 2 $1.00 bills that they could give as a donation. Then Emily wanted a 4 King & Country respect bracelet. All I had left was a $5.00 bill. So after waiting in the ginormous line we find out the the bracelets are $5. So that was my God moment!
      Great post BTW!

6. December 9, 2013

Haha funny post Rob! Its definitely easy to overlook or take those for granite but I think that’s the only thing that comforts me most is being able to recognize and give Him the glory for those sporadic “whoa ohh oh’s” :)

P.s. i thought you were going towards a different type of “holy” moment when i saw ur title! Lol

7. mary Ilgenfritz
    December 9, 2013

Yes, EVERY DAY GOD gives me a reason to thank him, usually in traffic,but, I really believe everything happens for a reason. I picture GOD sitting up and saying I wonder if they’ll get that “I” did that???!!! GOD rocks!!! mary

8. December 9, 2013

My family went to the Williamsburg Great Wolf Lodge several years ago and we absolutely loved it. It’s a great place.

• December 9, 2013

Thomas, that’s cool. We live about 20 minutes from there. I’d love to go stay there some time. That place is amazing!

9. Jes Hill
    December 9, 2013

I was going to say something, but your mom really summed it all up! It’s not JUST about asking God to care about our little needs, or JUST about being excited that He wants to give us those gifts, but TRUSTING that He will. So many times we say “Oh God I would love/help me get/can I please” and we just THINK he says “No” because we don’t go to the top of the water-slide where He was waiting with some super-fun friends in the making to go down the water-slide. Or we don’t send in that resume. Or we don’t reach out to that person. Or we don’t ask our boss for vacation. Or we don’t wrestle with weighty things. God says, “You want this fun/awesome/amazing/blessing thing?? I WANT you to have it! I’m here! Up here at the top! Come hang out with me in the midst of the blessing you’re asking for because I’m present there.”

10. cam
    December 9, 2013

It seems so simple, so true… and yet I look at this and all I can think is that God is always there for other people, even in the little things… After four miscarriages in the last year and a half, a family who shunned me and my grief (even as our priest told me my grief was normal, my MIL was going behind my back to my husband to call me a pagan). I believe in God, and in his miracles… but it seems after the last year and a half of praying constantly, silently pleading, that those miracles are always reserved for others.

• December 9, 2013

Cam, I’m so sorry for this experience for you. My wife and I weren’t able to have kids for 6 years and dealt with a miscarriage during that time. That is so difficult to go through. Grief is normal and healthy. Even Jesus wept. I’m not sure what spurred your mother in law to call you a pagan but I’m sorry. I hope that God holds you and that you find comfort in His arms.

11. December 9, 2013

That’s a great story, Rob. I definitely believe you can have a “holy moment” on a water slide.

12. Jim
    December 9, 2013

Wow you mom’s comment was awesome, gave me chills.
    So was that a GOD moment reading it? Maybe?

How about our lives are filled with hundreds of GOD moments everyday. Then the question would be are you paying attention enough to see them????

13. Brooke
    December 9, 2013

What a great story and twist! This was a great reminder to be looking to God not just for the Big things but for the little things too…. He knows how to have fun, He created it!! =)