How To Weird People Out This Christmas

filepicker-ULW93ik5SJahafXg5YT9_fruitcake

Christmas has a lot of strange traditions that we don’t think are strange. We are so used to them that they seem normal, but if an alien were to visit us they would shake their head in wonder for the weirdness that is Christmas.

Exhibit A: Let’s bring in a real tree into our house and put small figurines, balls, and lights on it. Or let’s buy a fake tree that looks like a real tree and do the same thing that we would do with the real tree.

Exhibit B: Drink, eat, listen to, and watch things that are only appropriate for this time of year. People look forward to drinking eggnog around Christmas. You don’t hear of people drinking it in July. People sell fruit cake around Christmas. I don’t know anyone that eats it but I see it being sold only around Christmas. Christmas movies and music are awesome but, despite what stores are trying to pull on us, should only be viewed after Thanksgiving.

Exhibit C: Sing songs. Now unless you have a musical family there is a great chance that you will not gather around the piano in March to sing songs about spring time, St. Patrick, and or having good luck. Come Christmas time and even the non musical families will break out the Christmas songs.

Exhibit D: Put socks on your chimney place. This is just weird. I love the tradition of it but if you step back to think about it it’s weird to hang stockings by the chimney with care.

Exhibit E: Have a universal greeting or two. For almost an entire month every conversation you have will end with, “Merry Christmas” or “Happy Holidays.”

Exhibit F: Send Christmas cards. What if I told you that my family was going to take a picture on Groundhogs Day, write an update about how we are doing on the back, and then send it to every person we know including people that we don’t talk to on a regular basis? Weird right? At Christmas this is perfectly acceptable.

Exhibit G: Mistletoe. Put a plant up in your house during any month but December, and then force people to smooch when they accidentally walk under said plant and you will get sued for sexual harassment and or running a brothel.

Exhibit H: Take your kids to sit on a bearded old man’s lap and force them to take a picture with him even if they are screaming.

You see what I mean. It’s all normal because we do it all the time. None of it weirds us out because it’s normal.

If you really want to weird someone out this Christmas try telling them the positive things that you feel about them.

It not only feels weird to do they will look at you like you are wearing an ugly Christmas sweater in August.

For some reason we don’t like to tell people the great things that we think about them.

In fact we often wait until we have a reason. That reason so often is their death and at their funeral. Not trying to change the mood of this post and go gloomy on you, but it’s true.

The problem is that when someone dies it’s too late. At that moment they don’t care about how you felt about them.

In fact I believe that no one that I love should have to wonder what would be said at their funeral. I hope to tell people whenever I think something nice. I hope to shower them with words that describe how I feel on a regular basis.

I believe that whenever we think something nice we should say it. Let’s not wait until someone dies before we shower with them with praise. If someone has impacted your life tell them.

So this Christmas season let’s shower people with praise. Tell your family specifically what you love about them. Tell your friends why you value them. Tell a stranger something nice that you see at first glance.

Maybe if you started doing this it would become as normal as our other weird Christmas traditions.

What are some of your favorite Christmas traditions? Why do you think it’s so weird to tell people how you feel about them?

1. December 4, 2013

One of our traditions is to drive over to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge one night. There are Christmas lights everywhere, even in the median. We get a Krispy Kreme and a drink and just ride around looking at them. As for your other question, we just think that people already know or we’ll have time.
    I guess people used to hang their socks by chimney to dry. It was a good place for Santa to stick the oranges and nuts that he used to bring. We’ve just kept doing it.

• December 4, 2013

Larry, that’s a great tradition. Monica and I went to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge one year for vacation and it was a lot of fun.

2. December 4, 2013

With suggestions like actually talking to other people and complimenting them, you sir are likely to branded a first class nut.

• December 4, 2013

Daniel, call me crazy. Oh. Wait. I think you already did.

3. December 4, 2013

I don’t really have any traditions except to think some people are weird. I so have one personal tradition. I have certain movies I watch starting with Turkey day through Christmas. It is my goal to watch them sometimes in between. Our family has only one: my wife makes homemade biscuits and gravy on Cmas morning. Yummmmm.

• December 4, 2013

That’s a fun tradition, Bill. What movies are on your list. I am pretty sure A Christmas Story is not.

December 4, 2013

Christmas breakfast is a more recent tradition I have come to enjoy. It’s purpose was to provide an alternate tradition for our children who have two families with whom they share the day. Two similar dinners just seemed to be too much and too close together.
    I don’t think it is weird to share feelings, but many times I prefer to do it in writing which allows me to be more specific and allows the other person to receive and enjoy in private.

5. Joan Bastian
    December 4, 2013

One of my favorite traditions as a kid was piling in the woody and driving around looking at lights on Christmas Eve.
    These days with my in-laws we do Christmas breakfast which I enjoy.
    I complement throughout the year, especially to strangers.

• December 4, 2013

Joan, that sounds fun. I can’t wait to take our kids to see the Christmas lights this year.

6. December 4, 2013

I especially love the Christmas traditions related to food. We have Swedish food for Christmas – Korv (Potato Sausage), meatballs, cheese, and rice pudding. Yumm!

• December 4, 2013

Jon, how’d you land on Swedish food? Would love to know that answer.

7. kelly miller
    December 4, 2013

Telling people how you feel about them is a risk. We have all experienced being let down in the future at times. It can be uncomfortable. Recently I’ve received a few WOW compliments. It was so nice. At the same time I felt pressured to always be that awesome. And, I’m only human. In the end, I think we should always take that chance with others. Big feelings along with the small compliments because mustering that courage really does make a difference in others lives and our own.
    I was thinking about what Larry said about the fruits and nuts. When I was little my Grandma would always give us brown paper bags with fruit, nuts and hard candies in it. I think she made them weeks ahead of time because when I opened it, the smell was so awful. She is gone now. Every year I make my own brown bag of fruits, nuts and hard candies. I close it up for a while and come back later just to smell it. That’s weird, huh?

• December 4, 2013

Kelly, it is tough but so worth it. I don’t want to ever assume people know how I feel about them. The truth is they probably don’t know unless I tell them.

8. December 4, 2013

Those two aren’t scared. They’re ninjas with battle cries.

9. Amy
    December 4, 2013

We have a couple of traditions one if which our living room tv gets turned to TBS at 8 on on Christmas Eve and stays on until 8 am Christmas morning. The 2nd is the kids & I make reimdeer food consisting of oats & a touch of cookie decorating sugar. Before they go to bed Christmas Eve we sprinkle it in the front yard.
    I try to always say nuce things to people. I always remember what you said about if you are thinking something nice about somebody you need to say it!