A Pastor’s Uniform

You know what no one has ever said? Pastors need a uniform. I think it would be a great change. As of now Pastors are all over the place. Some are in suits, some in jeans, some in robes, and some with collars. I guess the ones in collars are kind of like a uniform so they are exempt from this post. This is for the other pastors.

We respect people in uniforms. Cops, military, Iron Man, and UPS workers with their short shorts are all perfect examples of what a uniform can do for a person.

With that being said I have some ideas for the pastor uniform.

The Suite of armor:

Not only would it serve as the perfect illustration for the Armor of God but it also forces people to pay attention. Who could sleep when the pastor is wielding a literal sword? You never know when he’s going to accidentally cut himself during a passionate point where he simultaneously has an itch. Oh and if all of the Pastor’s Suits had built in abs it would help them hide their God sized gut.

Jerseys:

Not only could they personalize their scripture for the day they could also sell them to make some money for the upcoming building campaign. Who doesn’t like to wear their favorite player’s jersey? Answer. A lot of people, but that’s not the point. A lot also really enjoy wearing jerseys.

Spandex Uniform:

There is no hiding a pastor’s gluttony in this thing. This would cause all pastors to work out or become very secure with their body bulging out of tight spandex.

Sweatsuit:

valoure jumpsuit

When pastors preach they get their sweat on. You’ve seen it. It’s hard work. Why not preach in a comfy sweatsuit? I know from experience that Velour sweatsuits are comfy.

Okay, maybe pastors in uniform is the worst idea you’ll hear all day.

Instead of worrying about what to wear or not wear pastors and for that matter Christians should think about a different type of swag.

Swag: how one presents him or her self to the world. An abbreviation for swagger. Also potentially the most overused word in the English language.

“Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.” Colossians 3:12

People will remember our actions long after they remember what we wear. Christians should wear their attitudes on their sleeves in a way that reflects Jesus. Now that’s swag.

What other types of uniforms could pastors wear?

1. May 17, 2013

You could wear a football uniform. After the service, you could say that you were going to Disney World. You could stand outside, drinking a Coke and throw your jersey to a kid.

• May 17, 2013

Larry, I like that. Do I actually get to go to Disney because that would be wicked awesome!

2. Laura Spiers
    May 17, 2013

You? A ChickfilA uniform, haha!

• May 17, 2013

Laura, I am there enough that it would make sense. Although people already crave it on Sunday’s and seeing me in that would just add to their torture because they are closed.

3. May 17, 2013

I have been thinking about this very topic for several years now and have come to the conclusion that all pastors should wear costumes like the beloved Teletubbies. … Genius isn’t it?

• May 17, 2013

Daniel, maybe that’s what was about to happen when Jerry Falwell bashed on them. There is no way he was dressing up like a Teletubby. Actually he didn’t even bash on them. One of his students did in the Liberty newspaper. I just destroyed my own point. Oh me!

4. May 17, 2013

Whatever uniform the pastor wears, I think it should be coated with teflon (or some other non-stick surface) so that all the stupid things the sheep say about him will slide right off.

I started to gross everybody out and say maybe he should preach naked. But I won’t do that. Oh, wait. I just did. Sorry. :-D Seriously, though, the “uniform” of the pastor should be completely transparent, don’t you think? No pretenses, no false fronts, no masks. The same way all of us who attend the church should be. In short, the pastor’s “uniform” shouldn’t be any different than the flock’s.

Hey, when are you going to Russia? Is it next month? Praying diligently for you guys!!

Grace and peace,

Jeff

• May 17, 2013

Jeff, I don’t think anyone would come back if I pulled an Adam and Eve with my wardrobe. I am going to Russia next Month. June 14 is when we leave. I greatly appreciate the prayers.

5. May 17, 2013

God Thoughts Rob!
    You know, you just got me thinking…when a celebrity Dies…they almost NEVER talk about who they dressed. Or there fasion sense…mostly it’s what their talants were…
    And it’s insane how they put sooooo much obssesion over fashion…
    Sad.

• May 17, 2013

Arny, great point! I’ve never heard them talk about what they are wearing at their funeral. At the end of the day the way that we live speaks volumes. Great addition!

6. LindaE
    May 17, 2013

The Michilin Tire Man suit, because no matter how thick-skinned a pastor is, he needs to be more…but it needs to be a soft, cuddly thick-skinned, not the scary, “Iron Man” kind. Plus it would help you during the times like you wrote about in your “Winning” blog!!

• May 17, 2013

Linda, thick skinned indeed. Maybe like a cameleon so we could changed based on our surroundings. If it’s a tough situation we could change to red to let everyone else know? You might be on to something here.

7. May 17, 2013

That sweat suit is priceless. If you still have it I think you should rock it this Sunday.

• May 17, 2013

Stephen, I think I gave that back when I left. I’ll have to check once we get all our stuff out of storage.

8. mary Ilgenfritz
    May 17, 2013

Comfort rules! I would imagine it would be hard to preach a sermon if your thinking”man this shirt is itchy” so casual, comfortable is my vote,whatever that means to you,wear it proud because no matter what you wear someone will crucify you! mary

• May 17, 2013

Mary, you nailed it. I’m all about comfort when it comes to clothing. Loved your tie in to my book. Well played.

9. Maria Winchell
    May 17, 2013

What would female pastor’s wear? That’s a whole different ballpark, lol. How about dressing like Cinderella? Her personality sure reflects Colossians 3:12 from a Disney perspective :-)

You r right we should be more mindful of how we represent Christ via our actions. How would we represent him with what we wear?

• May 17, 2013

Maria, great questions. I think that if the intent is to honor God each person will come up with the right wardrobe.