Second Annual Blogging All-Star Challenge

Some people have said that Ricky Anderson and I are twins because we think so much alike. Other people have said that it’s more like distant cousins. The truth is we have never met in person. What we do have in common is that we both blog and love reading blogs. That love has led to a conversation. Sports teams have All-Star Games, so why can’t bloggers. Last year we kicked off the First Annual All-Star Blogging Challenge.  This year we are at it once again. Two teams. Team Ricky vs. Team Rob. Ten bloggers each. You get to vote on which team you think is the best. The truth is that it’s just a fun way to feature some of our favorite bloggers. Enjoy.

Artwork by Wes Molebash @wesdraws.com

__________________________________

Team Ricky

Tor is a former journalist, author, speaker, husband and father of two girls and one shiny new son, hot off the press.

Chad Jones
Chad is an IT guru who lives in Arizona with his wife and two kids. He is a contributor to Not Alone, Alise Wright’s anthology of living with depression.

Jamie Golden
Jamie is the marketing director for a children and family non-profit. She’s also one of the funniest people on the Internet, and slightly obsessed with Nathan Fillian.

Monica Shepherd
Monica is Rob’s wife. She’s the reason he’s functional in life. Monica started blogging a few months ago. If you want to see some of Rob’s funny stories from another perspective, check out her blog.

Amanda Bast
Amanda is Canadian, but we don’t hold it against her. She aspires to be the world’s first sit-down comedian.

Kevin Haggerty
Kevin is an author, husband and soon-to-be father. In fact, he may be a father as you read this. Or this. It’s THAT close. Kevin is a rare breed of writing talent – he’ll make you laugh, think and be challenged.

Renée Shuls-Jacobson
Renée is a teacher, wife and mother. She’s funny and touching. Although not in a creepy way.

THE Joseph Craven
THE Joseph Craven is a man of mystery. He is currently on an international quest for ice cream. He is also the host of the Courtesy Laugh Podcast.

Paul Johnson (The Good Greatsby)
Paul lives in Shanghai with his family. Or maybe it’s somebody else’s family. It’s too far to go fact-check. He produces plays and is a contributor to the Huffington Post. He accepts checks.

Jessica Buttram
Jessica is a trophy wife and mother of two. She will make you laugh, cry and laugh while you’re crying. She’s that good.

vs.

Team Rob

Jon Acuff

After losing last year’s competition, Ricky emailed me with the following line, “You are going down next year. And you can even have Acuff.” That’s like saying, in 1996, that we are going to play basketball and you can have Michael Jordan. Jon Acuff is what every Christian blogger with a sense of humor wants to be. He’s funny, thought provoking, and used his blog to build multiple schools in Vietnam.

Tyler Stanton
Tyler is one half of the comic genius that is Trip and Tyler. He may be the self-proclaimed world’s most trivial man, but at least he knows who he is. I apologize now for the pee stains that will happen from spontaneously wetting yourself after reading his stuff.

Leanne Shirtliffe
Leanne is a mom of twins, so she’s automatically wicked awesome, and she’s the future queen of Cananda. Okay, I don’t know if Canada has queens, but if they did they would be lucky to have her as their Monarch.

Stephen Haggerty
Stephen is not only the brand new worship leader at Next Level Church, he’s also full of awesome. His blog is ha-larious and thought provoking. If his blog doesn’t get your vote then his beard will. It’s got its own zip code.

Larry the Deuce
Larry is a huge University of Tennessee fan, fanatic for Jesus, and family man. He’s not a preacher but his posts will leave you feeling like you just left a Biblical buffet.

Knox McCoy
Fact: Knox McCoy is best known for his ha-larious posts on the Bachelor and the Bachelorette.
Fact: Those posts are more like novels than posts.
Fact: If you read these long posts you will fall in love with Knox’s humor and end up becoming a fan of the Bachelor and Bachelorette.

Tamara Lunardo
Tamara is a collector of fine tattoos who shares her thoughts about life and faith on her blog. She’s brutally honest and a proponent of audacious grace.

Tyler Tarver
Tyler Tarver is a madman. His humor is on another level. Whether it’s videos, To Do Lists, or Pictures of Win, you will laugh out loud at Tyler’s insane humor.

Carlos Wittaker
Carlos could post about how his belly button lint smells and he would receive 976 comments, a People’s Choice Award, and 30 people would get saved. He’s a worship leader, family man, and adoptive dad.

BryanAllain
Bryan has a great blog but his greatest legacy will be his work to help other bloggers become awesome. His 31 Days To Finding Your Blogging Mojo is a blogger’s manual. You would be stupid to not purchase this book. It’d be like trying to fly a plane without lessons. It’d be like locking a toddler in a bathroom, saying “go get em tiger,” and expecting them to potty train themselves. It’d be like finding a bomb and just pulling a wire because it looks pretty. In other words if you have a blog then it’s a smart move to buy 31 Days To Finding Your Blogging Mojo.

If you love or hate Twilight…

If you are honest with yourself…

If you like the idea of the Avengers of Blogging…

If you want God’s favor on your children’s children…

You’ll love Team Rob

Vote for which team is the overall best. Oh and what Blogging All-Star got snubbed?

1. July 30, 2012

I’ve got to get to blogging more often so maybe I can be on the list next year.

• July 30, 2012

Joan, that’s a great goal. Some of the people on this years list I met through last years competition. It’s a great group to get to know through the world wide web.

• July 30, 2012

And that’s the fun part. These are all great folks to get to know.

except the whites

• July 30, 2012

I actually can’t identify myself.

Am I the mad one in purple? Or the benign one in green?

Did Wes see my avatar?

Did he miss my hotness factor?

Or is my hotness gone?

I’m confused.

• July 30, 2012

Renee, the mad one in purple at the bottom is my wife. You are in green. Sure it’s not Jessica Rabbit status, but all the females are beautiful cartoon characters.

2. July 30, 2012

Team Rob!!!

3. July 30, 2012

I can’t decide which I like more: the idea of these bloggers facing off, or the awesome comic versions of them. Good luck to everyone (and for the record, I had to go with Team Rob).

• July 30, 2012

I understand, Shawn. We can’t all be model citizens.

• July 30, 2012

Shawn, God will bless your children’s children for that vote. Oh, and you blog is one that got snubbed. I didn’t discover it until after the draft.

• July 31, 2012

No problem, Rob. I don’t think I could have lived under the pressure of the competition.

• August 1, 2012

Shawn, you would have destroyed that pressure.

4. Jess
    July 30, 2012

I AM ADORABLE.

Thanks, Wes.

• July 30, 2012

Thanks, Jess! Glad you like your drawing! :)

• July 30, 2012

Wes, it’s an honor and privilege to go under your pen! You sir are a genius!

• July 30, 2012

Wow! Thanks, Tor! I really appreciate the kind words, and I’m glad you like the “cartoonified” version of yourself. :)

• July 30, 2012

it’s true wes, you’re the best, forget the mess, you ruined my dress, i have to confess, i’ve been blessed, now go rest.

• August 2, 2012

I love this artwork Wes! Cool stuff. And I voted team Rob. SORRY Jess Buttram.

• August 2, 2012

Thank you Clay! If your blog didn’t die you were going to be one of my first picks. Now with your new blog there is a great chance I can draft you next year.

• August 3, 2012

Wes: just by the by, I wasn’t complaining. Just confuzzled.

I have mad curly hair.

Which is why I wear a hat in my avatar.

I think your drawing skills are amazing!

• July 30, 2012

You are adorable! And Jamie, too! Which one do you think I am? Seriously?

• July 30, 2012

You’re right below Jessica Buttram. You’re wearing a green shirt and you look like you’re pleading with the other team to turn from their wicked ways.

5. July 30, 2012

Tough call but I made my pick. I do worry about The Bearded Idealist. I think he may be doping his beard with gel. I realize that doesn’t effect his blogging but there is a certain standard I keep. Stop laughing I do keep a standard….;-)> Great picks all around.

• July 30, 2012

Isn’t that the blogger equivalent of steroids?

• July 30, 2012

You’re funny, Ken. While I will admit to very mild beard doping, it’s all within regulations and above aboard.

• July 31, 2012

I glad to hear that. As a precaution I have bet on both teams just in case you were disqualified Stephen. Benny Wordsworth, my blogging bookie, assures me it all goes to a good cause.

6. July 30, 2012

This is just brilliant, fellas. Not only do I get to team up with my gal pal, LShirtliffe, I get to look all badass with my cartoon self. Thanks, Rob and Wes (and sorry, Ricky– haha)!

• July 30, 2012

In your caricature, you look like you’re begging to be on our team, Lunardo!

• July 30, 2012

Ha! Pretty sure I’m just praying for your poor li’l team’s souls.

• July 30, 2012

Well, then thank you. We’ll take what we can get!

• July 30, 2012

Ricky, that reply is one of the many reasons why you are awesome! That was funny.

• July 30, 2012

Hahaha! I love the cartoon Tamara! This is serious. Leanne and Tamara on a team together are a force to be reckoned with.

Good thing I have the Jewish vote.

• July 30, 2012

If only these guys had put all three of us together– it would’ve been an easy win. Or else huge trouble.

Probably trouble. ;)

7. July 30, 2012

Remember, people: a vote for Team Rob is a vote for a team that not only won last year, but is also already full of stars. But a vote for Team Ricky is a vote for the people–it’s a vote for you–because we’re just regular people who dare to dream, who are reaching for the stars.

Please vote Team Ricky.

• July 30, 2012

Silly chad, Team Rob is full of regular people as well. They all put on their gold plated pants one leg at a time.

8. July 30, 2012

Great list again this year. Did you have to trade Monica for Jon? I cast my vote, but who are the twins voting for?

• July 30, 2012

The twins are voting for their Internet Uncle Ricky. They know what’s up.

• July 30, 2012

Sele, no trade. I drafted Acuff first and Ricky picked Monica for his first pick. He’s brilliant!

9. July 30, 2012

Oooh! I’ll have to add this link to today’s post. And tomorrow’s. And so on until we are victorious. Go Team Ricky!

Ricky, Don’t Lose My Number.

I’ll call you later.

• July 30, 2012

If I had a nickel for every time I’ve heard that!

• July 30, 2012

Renee, just so you know on one of my electronic machines I cast a vote for Team Ricky. On the other two I went with the other guy.

• July 30, 2012

Wait wait WAIT – it’s not considered shady to vote once PER DEVICE?!?

Game changer, Rob, game changer.

• July 30, 2012

Ricky, well we didn’t define it before we started. It’s the only way I can not feel like I’m destroying my wife in this competition.

• July 30, 2012

Oh, trust me – I wasn’t complaining! Just clarifying.

And whistling as I head out to help a user…

• July 30, 2012

Thanks Rob. That is so nice. I’ll go get on my son’s iPod now and shoot you a vote. I love this. Wheeeeeee!

10. July 30, 2012

I think it’s hilarious that Monica is on Team Ricky.
    I hope this does not divide your household.

Me too.

• July 30, 2012

Stephen, it is ha-larious. No division here. I love that she’s blogging. I will even throw a vote her way.

• July 31, 2012

Stephen, I love your caricature – you look like Leonidas from the Battle of Thermopylae! Too bad you’re on the wrong team…

11. July 30, 2012

The Deuce is my friend, but I was on Team Ricky last year and still have the scar I call “Jon Acuff’s Tweet Heard Round the World” deep in my soul. This is tough–terribly, impossibly tough. Oh the humanity! Team Ricky it is!

• July 30, 2012

The Deuce can be your friend next week, Matt. Good choice!

• July 30, 2012

Matt, are you kidding me? Well, your blog is one that got snubbed. Maybe next year we will get you back in there. I still love your blog even if you are holding on to the past. I kid, I kid.

12. July 30, 2012

If Team Rob can get confused Twitter using Twilight fans to stop by with clever #TeamRob hashtag usage this could be a massacre.

• July 30, 2012

Joe, I love how you think.

13. July 30, 2012

Rob, it’s an honor to be part of the challenge. But I think the choice for Team Ricky is clear, especially given the fact that your wife – flesh of your flesh, bone of your bone – is on Team Ricky.

• July 30, 2012

Tor, I know right! Ricky selected amazing bloggers.

• July 30, 2012

I guess so…but I question the judgment of anyone who wants me on their team – just saying…

14. July 30, 2012

I love my cartoon self. Wes captured my nonchalant ambivalence perfectly.

• July 30, 2012

Kevin, Wes did an amazing job! I knew we couldn’t do this again without his artwork.

15. July 30, 2012

Rob, your reply to me needs more cowbell.

• July 30, 2012

Chad, you are a funny man.

16. July 30, 2012

Wes, I’m thoroughly enjoying the aging hipster vibe you gave my caricature. That is almost exactly how I dress on weekends. ;-)

• July 30, 2012

You’re welcome, Chad. The picture I used to reference your caricature was taken on a Saturday, so I guess that lines up. :)

17. July 30, 2012

You forgot to mention my hotness factor.

And the fact that I am your token Jewess.

• July 30, 2012

Renee, that alone should me that you should vote Team Rob.

18. July 30, 2012

I cannot take sides in this battle. There is too much at stake. But that opinion could change in time. I am open to bribes. Cash or certified e-check are accepted. Now, let the hilarity ensure.

• July 30, 2012

Daniel, how about I offer you something real like a high five. I can actually deliver this to you at church on Sunday. Oh, and I already FB’d you to ask to go to lunch. That was before this competition so don’t take that as a bribe. Just saying.

• July 31, 2012

I offer shorter checkout lines and faster Internet connections.

19. July 30, 2012

Also, Jared Hollier should have been on our team. Can we make him an alternate? Like how Mallory and Jesse were alternates in the Baby-Sitters’ Club?

DONE.

20. July 30, 2012

Go Team Ricky!!

And I think @Moe_NYC got snubbed. Dude is a machine.

21. July 30, 2012

Can’t believe Matt chose Team Ricky over the team I’m on. I did take him to tje emergency room 13 years ago after he stood up from the toilet too fast and ripped his head open with the coat hook on the stall door. Where’s the loyalty?

• July 30, 2012

Pictures or it didn’t happen!

• July 31, 2012

Don’t take it personally, Larry. Matt just knows who his friends are now. A lot can change in 13 years.

22. July 30, 2012

And my cartoon is perfect.

23. July 30, 2012

i am gunna vote with my man Tor, naturally, and that means team Ricky. Sorry Rob.

• July 30, 2012

Rob, what? We have the same name. We’ve actually met in person and you said I actually looked like my online picture. Well, it’s a good thing I like all the bloggers on Team Ricky or I would boo you publicly on the world wide web.

• July 31, 2012

Rob, you are a man with refined judgment and taste – those of us about to die salute you! (metaphorically speaking of course)

24. July 30, 2012

I’m late to the game, but I’m a closer. Love that I’m throwing Thing 1 and Thing 2 away; Wes captured the spirit of my blog. :)

See ya, Team Ricky!

And Tamara? Yes, to whatever the question was/is. ;)

• July 30, 2012

Leanne, now we are talking. Let’s do this!

• July 30, 2012

I had a lot of fun drawing your character. I knew from the beginning that I wanted to draw you releasing Thing 1 and Thing 2 like a flock of doves. :)

25. July 30, 2012

Though it is admittedly hard to vote against Knox and the Tylers, Ricky was one of my first world wide web friends so I have to go Team Ricky.

• July 31, 2012

And that is why you are such a great guy, Scott. A great, great guy with excellent taste.

• August 2, 2012

You are DEAD to me, Scott. DEAD.

go eat a butt, virgin.

26. July 31, 2012

What a great idea! Love it!

• July 31, 2012

I’m going to go ahead and read between the lines there and thank you for your vote!

27. July 31, 2012

I meant to answer the “snubbed blogger” question. I definitely wish there had been room for Ken “The Barba” Hagerman (www.ramblingbarba.com). That guy is hilarious & one of my faves. Hope he makes the cut next year!

• July 31, 2012

I completely agree!

• July 31, 2012

Thanks for the shout out fellows. I am a neophyte blogger and need seasoning. I didn’t even know there was something to train for. It would be like going straight to the draft after high school if I were selected this year. I need the Junior College experience to refine my game.

28. Sirvhim
    July 31, 2012

Rob,

By the way, I’ll just say now that I’m sorry you lost this competition. I say that, because, no matter what happens, you lose. If Team Ricky gets more votes, you lose, that’s obvious. Less obvious but just as true, if team Rob gets more votes, you still lose, because MonShep.com is on the other team, so…yeah, my condolences.

• August 1, 2012

Sirvhim, well my own wife voted for Team Rob so I think I still win.

• Sirvhim
        August 1, 2012

Yeah, but that may have been a feint, who knows what kind of crazy womanly ways she’ll use to get back at you later, i’m just sayin’ watch your back ;) Ha ha ha

• August 2, 2012

i’ve heard of this, the wronski feint

29. August 2, 2012

I see that I didn’t answer the question at post’s end; to that end, I would say Jim Woods of http://www.unknownjim.com should’ve been all star this year.

30. August 2, 2012

it’s a crime Shawn Smucker isn’t on this list.

so there.

• August 2, 2012

Sharideth, I agree! He is the man.

• August 2, 2012

Indeed, a felony count – the ring leader for Team Rob should be banned for that egregious oversight…oh wait, then there would be no competition.

31. August 2, 2012

Rob – other recruits who may not have been mentioned for future consideration would be Sharideth Smith, Andi Cumbo and KC Proctor.

• August 2, 2012

Tor, KC is on my radar for sure. I’ll have to check out the other blogs you mentioned.

• August 2, 2012

i’m offended. i assumed i didn’t make the list because i was just too good and it would make the competition completely unfair.

or whatever the opposite of that is.

• August 2, 2012

Maybe it was that, or your, you know, sex podcast.

Rob is a pastor after all.

;-)

(me ducks for cover, runs, and hides)

• August 2, 2012

nope. that’s not it. tamara made it and she swears waaaay more than i do. okay, maybe not 4 a’s more, but at least 3.

• August 2, 2012

Sharideth, let’s go with the fact that this list couldn’t contain your awesome. How’s that?

• August 2, 2012

i say no. i’m just out-classed. not the first time. won’t be the last. i revel in my mediocrity! revel!

but i am willing to fight someone to the death next time for a slot. preferably tyler tarver. i think i could take him.

32. August 2, 2012

I voted Team Ricky because I know for a fact he exists. I’m pretty skeptical about the others.

• August 3, 2012

Burrill, that cuts me deep.

• August 3, 2012

Rob, if you make it to Michigan before Ricky, I’ll consider voting for Team You next time. I’M WAITING.

33. Trav
    August 2, 2012

+1 Team Ricky

34. August 3, 2012

I was going to vote for Ricky until he said on his blog that he wasn’t going to write about Chick Fil-A. I haven’t gotten enough of that subject this week from Facebook, Twitter, the news, my family, people at church, and the cow in the field across the street.

35. SomeGuysWife
    August 3, 2012

Go Team Ricky! It’s all about who you know. I am curious to know who SomeGuy voted for. He has ties to both sides.

36. August 3, 2012

you are all insane and i love it.

• August 3, 2012

I just tweeted my people. And notified everyone on Facebook. Both pages. This thing is cray-zee close.

37. Genea
    August 3, 2012

This ones hard. I like people on both teams. What’s a girl to do?
    I”ll go with team Rob just to make sure Pastor Rob doesn’t put a hex on our wedding.
    I’m kidding . Maybe. Yes I’m kidding!
    Good luck to both teams!

38. August 3, 2012

Ironic Mom AND The Bearded Idealist on the same squad? Gotta give my nod to Team Rob!

39. August 3, 2012

The sheer intensity of that comic graphic… whew.

It’s like Russia vs. USA in girls Olympics.

• August 4, 2012

I don’t think there’s any higher compliment you could give to this contest.

40. August 4, 2012

Tor looks sleepy.

• August 4, 2012

So is it over yet? Can the Davids claim victory over the Goliaths over there?

Or do we just say it was so close — practically 50/50 — that G-d loves us all?

• August 4, 2012

I thought it ended Friday, but I was wrong. It goes through Sunday.

And yes, He loves us all. Even Tarver.

41. August 4, 2012

Thanks for setting this up so that I feel torn. I’ve got my fellow church planter Rob on the one hand, and Kevin H. (who is a part of our church and in my life group) on the other team. Decisions. Decisions.

Had to go with team ricky.

We can still be friends.

• August 4, 2012

Eric, that cuts me deep.

• August 4, 2012

Eric, not really. Although one way to fix this would be to find another computer and vote for team Rob. That way you are fair.

42. August 5, 2012

Omigosh Ricky! You mean I have to keep pimpin’? Even on Sunday? JButt just alerted me to the fact that thang runs until Sunday. Til when? MIdnight EST? PCT? I need details. ;-)

43. August 7, 2012