I Can’t Support That: Restaurant Edition

I tend to challenge the process. I see things and start asking questions about why things are the way that they are. That has led me to a series that I like to call “I Can’t Support That.”

I love to eat out. LOVE it! But there are some restaurant names that I just can’t support. For example…

• Think about what the girl’s alternative to this restaurant would be. Would it be Peckers with a Woodpecker as a mascot? Would the guys wear biker shorts to show off their family jewels? Sounds gross? Well I don’t know how it’s fair for guys to have a restaurant that is visually appealing to them, but the ladies don’t have an alternative. I am not trying to be legalistic with this one. I don’t judge my friends who go there. I just have a hard enough time bouncing my eyes and keeping my mind pure that I don’t want the temptation while I’m eating.  I want to eat a place that is known for their food not for their waitress’s Hooters. For that reason I just can’t support this.
  • Here’s my problem with this…what makes them number 1? There have been multiple Number 1 Chinese Restaurants in the 757 and their food is good, but I don’t get how they can all claim to be number 1. What if a church tried that? No. 1 Baptist Church. Or what if your child tried this? No. 1 Kid in the world. I would rather have the quality of my product make me number 1 than to boldly claim it. I like their boldness but I still can’t support this.
  • There is a HUGE part of me that wants to support SUBplus. I mean they were really thrifty. Do you see who they resemble? They kept the color scheme and half of the sign from the store’s original owner. This place is located in the 757 and for years they were a Subway (Eat Fresh). Then overnight it became SUBplus. It made me laugh for the first dozen times I saw it. It’s basically the same thing that generic products do. Valiant effort SUBplus, but I still can’t support that.
  • This place is a riot. The waitresses dress as nurses, if you weigh over 350 lbs you eat for free, and a guy literally had a heart attack there a few weeks ago. I respect a place for knowing who they are. If you are not healthy don’t try to trick us with your salads that aren’t really that healthy. Be honest. No one on Weight Watchers is going to eat at Heart Attack Grill. I respect em for being true to themselves but I still can’t support em.

I think there may be a language barrier here. Signs that make me think of cuss words = I just can’t support that.

•   I mean if the place is called My Dung, what does that imply the food is made of? I CAN’T SUPPORT THAT!
  • It’s the year 2012! How in the wide world of humanity does this restaurant name exist? I just can’t support this.

I hope that you know that this post is supposed to be funny. I am sure that all of these places have excellent food. This isn’t a judgement post. I’m simply having a little fun with some restaurant names that I can’t support.

What is your favorite restaurant?

1. March 7, 2012

The last two or there pics didn’t show up. Hopefully it’s a mobile thing. The Heart Attack Grill made me laugh.

• March 7, 2012

Larry, it wasn’t a mobile thing. It was a site thing. I don’t know what happened to the pictures. They were there when I looked at it in the preview but for some reason didn’t show up online. I fixed it.

2. March 7, 2012

I enjoy quite a few restaurants. I can give out a quick top 5.

1) Outback. Love it, most everything on the menu is great.
    2) Chevys, Becca says its the only place that sells true Mexican food. To bad there isn’t one here.
    3) Buffalo Wild Wings. I mean seriously great
    4) Wendys. Great chicken sandwiches.
    5) Cheddar s. No real reason.

• March 7, 2012

Joseph, we love Cheddars! It’s one of our staples.

3. S
    March 7, 2012

This is great! Totally agree. Rob, what are the last three pictures? They arent showing up on my computer. Curious!! TY

• March 7, 2012

Sorry. I don’t know what happened. They showed up in my preview but not online. I think I fixed it.

4. brhollifield
    March 7, 2012

Ha Ha… this post is EPIC ! I didn’t even know about some of these restaurants… especially the last three. I have to many favorite restaurants to pick just one.

• March 7, 2012

Brian, I found some through Google. There are some crazy places out there.

5. March 7, 2012

My favorite? No contest: CHIPOTLE. ‘Nuff said.

Bill, LOVE it!

6. Jackie
    March 7, 2012

I cringe everytime I pass this restaurant and wonder why someone would name a food establishment “Stinkys”! (Also located in the 757)

• March 7, 2012

Jackie, I hear ya on that one. I was nervous to poke fun of them because they are local. I’ve actually eaten there. It’s respectable.

7. Ang
    March 7, 2012

HAHA, Hooters…gotta love it! My hubby and Son went there in 1990, hubs wanted to buy me a t-shirt as a gag gift, luckily they didn’t have my size. When they came home, I asked my then two year old Son if they had fun on their boys day out. He crinkled his nose, waved his hand in front of his face and said, “Smokey. Stinky girls.” I said to my hubs, “Where in the world did you take MY Son?” Twenty one years later, and my Son still hasn’t been back. LOL!
    About Sub Plus, when I saw it the other day, I thought it was a new Subway. So, maybe like when Kmart went from being just regular Kmart to Super Kmart by adding the groceries I thought, hmmm, maybe now the subs will have meat!

• March 7, 2012

Ang, no such luck about Subway. Although SUBplus has all types of extra things like ice cream.

8. March 7, 2012

Hilarious blog! My favorite restaurants are Cheddars, Plaza, Taste Unlimited/Cheese Shoppe, Carrabbas, and Chilis. In the fast food department it will always be McDonalds.

• March 7, 2012

Mon, we need to go to Taste Unlimited again real soon. It’s been a while for me.

9. Bernadette

I miss Johnny Carinos. That was an awesome place and needs to come back

• March 7, 2012

Bernadette, we liked them too! We went there often. Not sure why it closed down. Do you like Carrabbas?

10. Danielle
    March 7, 2012

I think SubPlus has ice cream. What’s not to love about that? We tried SMOKE, a new restaurant on Warwick and loved it. Cheddars is one of my favorites! And as a side note, I cannot spell restaurant correctly the first time. I had to look above at Monica’s post.

• March 7, 2012

Danielle, I want to go to Smoke. I’ve heard good things. And restaurant is a tricky one. When Monica saw my post she said, “I hope you Googled how to spell restaurant because that one always gets me.”

11. George
    March 7, 2012

I think everybody should try the Whaling Company (in Williamsburg) at least once. You gotta get the crab topping for your steak too!

• March 7, 2012

George, I haven’t been. Good call. I’ll have to check it out.

12. March 7, 2012

No. 1 China restaurant, I have heard, is No. 1 because they serve only the finest alley cats. They are just so Fu King good! Actually I felt dirty just typing that, but it had to be done!

• Amber S

Yep! You went there! lol

• March 7, 2012

Daniel, this comment was great. For the win for sure.

13. March 7, 2012

This reminds me of Fudruckers. That place was great. I’m sad it closed down. That is all.

• March 7, 2012

Kevin, good call. Fudruckers is a dicey name but they did have good food.

14. March 7, 2012

Rob! Dude! I litterly laughed out load here at work and i got a weird look from someone walking by!!!

soooooo funny…especially the Fu King!!!!

love me so Olive Garden…

• March 7, 2012

Arny, we love Olive Garden as well! Sorry about the weird looks, but I’m happy to make you laugh.

15. Lauren Cory

Favorite Restaurant is PLAZA AZTECA! Chipotle is a close second. 🙂

• March 7, 2012

Lauren, we love Plaza but it has nothing on Chipotle for me.

16. DP

Daniel… Hilarious.

If I’m picking an everyday restaurant, Cheddars. Riverstone Chophouse in Suffolk for super special occasions.

I’m surprised Maggiano’s didn’t make Monica’s list.

• March 7, 2012

DP, I’m surprised about that one as well. Good call. We need to go there soon.

17. March 7, 2012

Best place to eat, hands down: Mama’s Kitchen. Literally. No restaurant beats my mom’s cooking. =)

18. Amber S

Rob ~
    OH My GOSH! That was funny!!!!

For a very special or romantic evening
    ~ Riverwalk ~ It is awesome!!!

Kevin – the new place in the old Fudruckers is amazing if you like Asian cuisine!

• March 7, 2012

Amber, thanks! I’ve never been to Riverwalk. Is that at Yorktown Beach?

• Amber S
        March 7, 2012

Yes ~ Yorktown Beach. It’s Very nice!
        Some of the tables have a beautiful view of the water!

19. March 7, 2012

Wow. You went and said it- there should totally be a Peckers. It actually sounds like you’ve put a lot of thought into this one, kinda makes me nervous.

• March 7, 2012

Stephen, I was really nervous about that one. You never know how people will receive it. And yes I’ve put some thought into it. It’s been a running joke of mine for over a year. I just haven’t had the nerve to publish it.

20. Tonya Vazquez
    March 7, 2012

We just walked past the Heart Attack Grill the other day, they also make you wear hospital gowns while you eat!

• March 7, 2012

Tonya, that’s crazy. Are you going to try it out?

21. Gayle
    March 7, 2012

My favorite for lunch is Honeybaked Hams. It is tucked in the end of the shopping center and is not usually busy. Their soup and all of their sandwiches are just awesome.

A family fav is Pops! Gotta love me some Pops burgers. My heart probably doesn’t love me for it though!

Glad it’s almost lunch time – this post made me hungry!!

• March 7, 2012

Gayle, I do like Pops but I’ve never been there for anything but breakfast.

22. Rebecca M
    March 7, 2012

I have a few favorites but they are all back home in Cali: Chevy’s, Sinolas and House of Siam.

Here in Va I love Chedder’s.

Great, now I am hungry!

• March 7, 2012

Becca, Being from Cali do you like In-N-Out burger?

23. Randal
    March 7, 2012

I’m a big fan of Olive Garden, Outback Steakhouse, Red Lobster, and now Chipotle. Back in the day I was all about Chi Chi’s.

Haven’t tried Cheddars, but the responses above would suggest I should give it a try.

Went to Hooters once just to say I had. I wasn’t impressed and haven’t ever felt even the faintest glimmer of a desire to go back.

• March 7, 2012

Randal, wow Chi Chi’s. My family used to eat there weekly. Mmmm.

24. March 7, 2012

This is GREAT! I have several favorite restaurants and love to eat out. Still looking for a really good mexican food place in Seattle – believe me it’s hard to find. But I did find a great Indian food place in our town – and we go there for lunch quite often. Love Italian too 🙂

• March 7, 2012

Cindy, that’s surprising about the Mexican food in Seattle. I thought that all states were flooded with Mexican restaurants.

25. Sean
    March 7, 2012

I love Silver Diner. I love some of the things from the 80’s timeline like the Greaser-esk rock-star outfits and the cute shirt-hangs-of-the-shoulder look for girls, they were cool, they were cute, and I’ve recently found out that they are comfortable too when I dressed for 80’s day…where was I? Oh yeah, I like the Silver Diner because of how they have it set up and because they have great food. 🙂

• March 7, 2012

Sean, interesting pick. I haven’t been yet. I’ll have to check it out.

26. Rebecca M
    March 7, 2012

Love In-n-Out Burger… How did I leave it off my list????

27. March 7, 2012

For the longest time I kept driving by Hooters and always thought it said “Hookers.” I said “What?”

But nothing surprizes me in Vegas anymore.

28. Geoff Fox
    March 8, 2012

Reminds me of the two funniest places I saw outside of St. Louis. A Hooters competitor called “Show Me’s”. Cause Missouri is the Show Me State, get it?. 🙁 Another one in the same area was a Mexican Restaurant called “The Wet Back Grill”. WHAT??!! I wish I was making either one of these up.

29. March 8, 2012

Here it comes… Wait for it…

The #1 dish at the My Dung Restaurant:

The PuPu Platter.

Thank-you, thank-you! I’llbe here all week.

30. Lindsey Brooks
    March 9, 2012

Oh, this was hilarious!

Smoke IS very good, but makes for some awkward texts: “hey–wanna go to smoke friday night?” “ummm…you smoke?!” “oh. no. i mean Smoke, the restaurant.”

I love just about any place that serves me food. Restaurant, my mom’s, your mom’s, whatever. If I don’t have to cook it and do the dishes, I’m happy!