I don’t cuss…often. I have said 1 cuss word in 23 years. Some of you would not even consider what I said a cuss word. It was Jack-donkey. You see I don’t even like to spell out cuss words.
With that being said there are some things that drive me to want to cuss. For example…
- When one of my kids is sitting on my lap and they decide to strategically kick their heel into my family jewels. It’s as if they think I’m horse and they want to yell giddy up. It hurts like a mother.
- When a guy stands next to me at the urinal. There are rules to proper urinal etiquette. There should at all times be a urinal in between two guys.
- When I’m using a public restroom stall and somebody walks in to the bathroom. There are a few things that I know will happen. They will try to A. open the locked door of the stall that I’m sitting on. B. Peek through the gigantor crack between the stall door and stall wall. I mean, seriously, could they not have invented a way to make it so somebody doesn’t play peak a poo with you when they walk by? C. They will have a conversation with me. There is nothing I’d rather do than not talk to you while using the bathroom. D. I will walk out and wash my hands next to them. This is bad because they will then see my face and know that I’m responsible for that funky smell. I hate using public bathrooms.
- When my computer doesn’t work. I am thankful that I have a computer but when it is slow or doesn’t work it makes me want to cuss.
- When I try to put on pants on my babies. They will kick the leg out that I have just wrestled into their pants as soon as I get the other leg in.
- When I’m late to a meeting.
- When I stub my toe. I do a great job of walking around in the dark. When I have to get up at night I am like a ninja. I’m quiet and stealth like. Sometimes somebody leaves something out of place and my toe finds it. When it does I want to cuss like a Quentin Tarantino movie.
- When I’m tired. I am grouchy when I’m tired. Everything makes me want to cuss when I’m tired.
- High maintenance people.
- When my twins use their super mutant baby strength to knock a bottle out of my hand. That milk goes everywhere.
- When I try to multi-task and I end up dropping my electric toothbrush and it spins toothpaste all over the place on it’s way down to the ground.
- When I see that the toothpaste from my electric toothbrush has spun all over my clothes which were nicely placed on the ironing board.
- When I get lost and I don’t have anyone one to tell me where to go. I hate getting lost.
- When I walk out onto the stage a church and I panic because I’m not sure if my zipper is up.
So the question is why don’t I cuss?
I know other Christ Followers who do cuss on a regular basis. I have heard people say that there is sometimes no other word to describe how you feel. I’ve even heard people say that substituting cuss words for other words like crap, shoot, dang, and jack-hole (yes I made this one up and yes it’s my word of choice when I get upset. Oh…and yes it’s a combination of two different cuss words minus the cuss words). So why don’t I cuss?
- I wasn’t raised by parents who cuss. They set an example for me.
- I don’t want my kids to cuss. I hate it when I hear other parents cuss in front of their kids. I don’t want my kids to learn cussing from me.
- My conscience won’t let me. I feel guilty saying certain words. Some people don’t feel guilty saying those same words. Other people feel guilty saying some of the words that I say. To me it’s not a matter of legalism. I just don’t feel comfortable cussing.
- I want to set an example for others.
1 Timothy 4:12 – “Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity” (Underline mine).
I have friends who love God and feel free to cuss. This isn’t a judgment against cussing. I have a long way to go. I think that God looks at our heart and when I want to cuss it’s a reflection of the issues that I have. The purpose of my blog is to make you laugh and think. That’s the goal of this post.
How do you feel about cussing?